BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?

2010-05-25 14:53:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:51:30 -0400
Frank J. Gómez wrote at about 13:28:48 -0400 on Tuesday, May 25, 2010:
 > Hello,
 > Previously, I'd used BackupPC on a spare tower for this client -- let me
 > just call them a customer; client has too many meanings!  It works well for
 > all the customer's clients except one, and unfortunately this machine is the
 > most important one to back up.  The machine in question (let's call it RED5)
 > runs Windows XP Home, and backups are done via rsyncd on Cygwin.  (Most
 > other machines on the network are using SMB, but this is not an option as XP
 > Home won't let you assign permissions to your share -- either you share with
 > everyone or you don't share at all.)  Upgrading the operating system is an
 > option if that makes a difference in your recommendations.
 >
 > The last successful full backup of RED5 took just over 8 hours.  37,457
 > files totaling just under 25 GB were backed up at a rate of 0.87 MB/sec.
 > RED5 is a laptop, and it's only on the network for about 8 hours per day, so
 > I have to be able to do better than this.  I like SMB for the other clients
 > on the network because the configuration is simpler, but I've been led to
 > believe that rsyncd is generally faster for Windows clients.  Is this true?
 > If so, are there any rsyncd-related configuration options I should be
 > tweaking to increase performance?

I wonder whether there is something wrong with your setup,
particularly on the Windows machine.

I backup a WinXP Home partition containing 110,000+ files totaling
just under 27GB (i.e. about 3x as many files as you consuming a little
more diskspace)

The client is low-end, *old*, and slow -- 4+ year old, single core
celeron 1.6GHz with 2GB ram. The server is non-dedicated and even
older - 8 year old, Pentium4 non-hyper threaded, single core, 2.8GHz
with 3GB memory. The network connection is a shared Linksys wireless G
router.  Storage is via NFS over a 100mbps wired port on the Linksys
to a low-end consumer NAS (DNS-323). Clearly, my hardware is about as
old and low-end as one can get ;) I use rsyncd with cygwin 1.5 (or
1.7) with a stock BackupPC install.

Yet, incremental backups take about 15-20 min and fulls take about 70
minutes. So unless you are changing a large fraction of the files and
disc space between fulls, I would suggest that there is a problem with
your setup.