BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] A problem with splitting up large directories.

2010-05-25 15:21:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] A problem with splitting up large directories.
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:19:15 -0700
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 02:08:49PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> But are they the same 5?  If you simply can't transfer the
> >> amount of data you have there's not much it can do but pick up
> >> where it left off when wakes up outside of a blackout again.
> >> As long as it isn't the same jobs being missed repeatedly, it
> >> is probably going to the to it as fast as you would if you
> >> adjust the schedule anyway.
> >
> > It should take about 4 days to do all the jobs.  There's one job
> > that is 10 days old.  Therefore I conclude that it's not doing
> > the right thing.  :)
>
> OK, agreed, but did you mention having some sort of custom lock
> that limits concurrency?  If that looks like a failure the job
> probably goes to the bottom of the list - and at startup, you
> would probably always fail most of the oldest jobs that try to
> start.

Yep, there's a simple lockfile semaphore, so if there's a job
already running then whatever other jobs on that host it tries will
fail out.  At some point, though, there's no jobs running; at that
point, the oldest should be tried first, and should not fail.
That's what I'd expect, anyways.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.