BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] A problem with splitting up large directories.

2010-05-25 14:53:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] A problem with splitting up large directories.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 13:51:30 -0500
On 5/25/2010 1:29 PM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

>>> There is a problem with it, though: it can lead to starvation.
>>> I've got one host broken up into 10 or so backuppc jobs, and one
>>> of them has yet to run, 10 days later.  Each of the jobs takes
>>> about 6 hours, which means it takes more than a day for them all
>>> to complete, which means 5+ jobs are always available to run,
>>> and that one just hasn't gotten lucky yet.
>>>
>>> Haven't come up with a good solution yet.
>>
>> I always thought the scheduling was ordered by the time since the
>> last backup or time since the backup was due - but I've never
>> gotten far enough behind to tell.  Don't the backups that haven't
>> completed the previous day start first?
>
> I don't know, but regardless there are always at least 5 of those,
> is what I'm saying.

But are they the same 5?  If you simply can't transfer the amount of
data you have there's not much it can do but pick up where it left off
when wakes up outside of a blackout again.  As long as it isn't the same
jobs being missed repeatedly, it is probably going to the to it as fast
as you would if you adjust the schedule anyway.