BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question on Backing Up Windows

2010-05-20 10:26:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question on Backing Up Windows
From: Ryan Manikowski <jeenam AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:24:21 -0400
On 5/20/2010 3:16 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Adams [mailto:benadams AT tsav DOT com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:41 PM
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Question on Backing Up Windows

My question is this: Why can I back up C$\ which backs up all of the C

drive, but can

not back up ONLY C$\Documents and Settings\ which is all I want to back up?

Am I

following the right instructions to make SMB work?

Smells like NTFS-permissions might be off. OTOH, the domain admin-account
should be able to access that stuff anyway.

I've tried this before too, but couldn't get Samba to play. Do you have all
the legacy ntlm challenge/respons settings enabled on the domain? It will
definitely not work otherwise. Maybe with Samba4.

You might want to look into DeltaCopy, which is a rsyncd-based system. Works
very well over here.

Another option would be to avoid domain authentication altogether and create a local admin account on the box just for BackupPC to auth via smb.

This is not to say domain auth can not/will not work, but local auth always worked here. Save a few headaches.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

 ryan AT devision DOT us | 716.771.2282