BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BlackoutPeriods how to disable backup during a fixed period

2010-05-20 10:16:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BlackoutPeriods how to disable backup during a fixed period
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:14:57 +0200
Hi Tyler,

On 20/05/2010 15:34, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

>> That way I can swap to a copy instance on my secondary backup server.
>> for 230Gb backupp the initial rsync took ~53h and the next diff only ~3h
>>
> You may find rsync gets too slow because of the hardlinks in the pool.
> Consider
> using LVM and a bitwise copy of a snapshot. You won't have to stop the backup
> at all.
>
> http://www.tolaris.com/2010/04/23/using-lvm-to-make-a-live-copy-of-a-backuppc-
> pool/

In fact rsync duration isn't a problem here, 3h it's OK for me.
Also I must mention that the primary and the secondary server are not on
the same datacenter, it will use 230Gb of Band Width for each sync, right?

I use only rsync diff after the first one.

time rsync $rsync_opt -avH --delete -e ssh $host:$remote_path/
backuppc_pool/ | gzip -5 -c > $host.list.gz

Currently:

10 094 255  files, for one server.

Regards,
Sylvain.