BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question on Backing Up Windows

2010-05-19 11:55:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question on Backing Up Windows
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:53:33 -0400
Ben Adams wrote:

> I have a question that I am sure has been asked MANY a time on here,
> but I am trying to back up a Windows system without using Cygwin1.dll
> which is what the RSYNCD and RSYNC methods use.  I was exploring SAMBA
> (*SMB).  *The computers in question are a member of a Domain, and I am
> typing in TSAV\username and password and using a user with Domain
> Admin privileges.  I also put the FQDN and Simple Domain name in the
> field ClientNameAlias
> <https://tsavsbackuppc1.tsav.local/BackupPC?action=view&type=docs#item__conf_clientnamealias_>
>

> My question is this: Why can I back up C$\ which backs up all of the C
> drive, but can not back up ONLY C$\Documents and Settings\ which is
> all I want to back up?  Am I following the right instructions to make
> SMB work?

You did not post the configuration you were trying to use, so I'll have
to guess...

My guess is that you were specifying the share name as "C$\Documents and
Settings\".  This will not work since it is not an SMB share name.  You
use the share "C$" and then use the "BackupFilesOnly" option to specify
"/Documents and Settings".  The config would look like this:

    $Conf{SmbShareName} = [
        'C$'
     ];
    $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
          'C$' => [ '/Documents and Settings' ]
    };

On another topic...  If you are in a domain, it may not be the best idea
from a security standpoint to backup the C$ share since you have to put
the admin user and password in the config file.  What I do is create a
read-only share that is only accessible by a special domain user that is
only used for backups.  You can do restores via tar/zip file or change
the share to RW long enough to run the restore.  And in your case, you
could create the share on the "Documents and Settings" directory so you
don't even have to worry about the BackupFilesOnly setting.

--
Bowie