BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC-wiki on CentOS site that moved

2010-05-19 09:57:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC-wiki on CentOS site that moved
From: Max Hetrick <maxhetrick AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:54:54 -0400
Sorin Srbu wrote:

> Yeah, speaking of which, I had a look at the CentOS-wiki and it seems you
> have to apply for membership and whatnot to be able to add and maintain a
> wiki-page there. I don't know how the BPC-wiki is with regard to this, ie if
> it's simpler. For now the howto will remain at the previously mentioned url
> on my own server.

The process for contributing to the CentOS wiki is difficult, along with
a community of admins that differ very much on what's considered
on-topic and off-topic to post. Not only that, you have to go through a
submission process for everything on a page-by-page basis. So, basically
if you wanted to post something, you have to ask permission to have a
page created and give you write access to that page.

Once you contribute awhile, you're given some more rights, but you still
feel compelled to ask permission before you just start creating pages.
Given they have no set of standards for what they want authors and
contributors to follow, you get folks criticizing of what should or
should not be posted, leaving the author confused as to what he/she
should be doing.

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did there, but this is exactly why
I left helping them out. Until they put some standards together for what
they feel is on-topic articles, and get all their team members on board,
to me it's not worth it. Many people have left the CentOS wiki project
over the last year.

Regards,
Max