BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup

2010-03-22 11:15:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:13:17 -0500
On 3/22/2010 9:42 AM, David Williams wrote:

> However, there are still issues. When I try and perform a backup of
> laptop1 from within the web interface I get the following message:
>
> *Error: Can't find IP address for laptop1*
>
> * *
>
> *laptop1 is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the
> netbios name of 192.168.15.155, and found that that machine is not laptop1.*
>
> * *
>
> *Until I see laptop1 at a particular DHCP address, you can only start
> this request from the client machine itself.*
>
> The strange thing is, I was on the client machine at the time and trying
> to back it up manually from the web interface!

What does 'nmblookup -A 192.168.15.155' say (assuming you are still at
the same IP)?  It's going to use this to see if you are connecting from
the host in question.

> I also updated the config file for laptop1 such that
> NmbLookupFindHostCmd is set to:
>
> *$nmbLookupPath -R -U 192.168.15.2 $host*

You probably want to configure the WINS server in smb.conf so it is the
default and will be used in all operations without having to specify it
in the command line.  You should also set $Conf{DHCPAddressRanges} in
backuppc so it will know where to probe for dhcp-assigned addresses.