BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup

2010-03-18 15:12:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:10:49 -0500
Michael Stowe wrote:

>> Does it actually resolve via DNS?
>
>> This is a home network so to be honest, I wouldn't even know how to go
>> about testing this.  My laptop is associate to a Workgroup and my Linux
>> server has a static IP address within the 192.168.15.x range.  I can ping
>> the laptop by ip address but I am not sure what it's normal address would
>> be.  For example, would it be laptop1.workgroup.com ?
>
> Probably not.  Somewhere on your network you've got a DHCP server that's
> giving your laptop an IP address, and there's probably a DNS server that's
> either being updated directly by your laptop (Windows does that) or by
> your DHCP server.
>
> At any rate, to find out, open a command window on your Windows box and type:
>
> ipconfig
>
> Which should yield a "connection-specific DNS suffix."
>
> Workgroups/WINS is -quite- different, and entirely unrelated.

For a network with only a few machines, the easiest approach might be to
configure the router/dhcp server to give out fixed IP addresses based on the
known ethernet MAC addresses.   Most home routers have a simple web interface
and the ability to configure this.  They may also offer to provide DNS, but for
a couple of machines it doesn't matter - you can just set dhcp to 0 in backuppc
and put the IP address in ClientAlias.