BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup

2010-03-18 12:06:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:04:13 -0500
> I posted this to a Linux forum but also wanted to post it here since this
> is also relates to backuppc.

Only peripherally, in the sense that if you're using smb and smb doesn't
work, backuppc won't work.

> I did post something a while back and some mentioned about modifying
> Samba so that it became a local master.  Anyway, I
> made the changes to my smb.conf file with the following:
>
> local master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> wins support = yes
>
> That said, I still cannot seem to perform a nmblookup on a windows laptop
> that is connected to my network that has a dynamic IP address L

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to use NMB rather than DNS; then
again, I don't recommend SMB since rsync is available.

> I have just noticed something in my syslog, which I believe is related to
> a change in my Samba setup.  I am using Backuppc to perform backups on my
> linux server and I was (and still am) having a problem in that I wasn't
> able to back up any machine that had a dynamic IP address, namely my
> laptop.

Does it actually resolve via DNS?

> It
> seems that nmblookup will not resolve the ip address from any machines on
> my
> network.  Really not sure what the problem is since I have very little
> experience with this.  Also, I don't remember what change I made to the
> samba configuration (I had a look but nothing jumped out) other than it
> had to do with enforcing Samba to act as a Domain Master if that makes
> sense.

No, it doesn't make sense.  What you want (and need) is a master browser,
which (on a workgroup, not a Windows domain) is elected from computers on
the segment.  N.B.:  if you're not on the same segment and don't have a
domain controller, you can't browse or use nmblookup.

> The errors I am getting in my syslog are as follows:
> nmbd[4123]:   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> nmbd[4123]:   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name XXXXXX<1b> for
> the workgroup XXXXX.
> nmbd[4123]:   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

That's normal.  The local master browser is looking for a domain master
browser.  Which you apparently don't have.  This is indicating that for
whatever reason, samba is not functioning as the LMB.  There may be better
clues when it starts up, since typically that's when the elections are
held.

In your log.nmbd, you should see this sort of thing:

become_domain_master_browser_bcast:
  Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup XXXXX on subnet
10.168.0.1

If you're not seeing this, then something's funny with your smb.conf.

> I'd really appreciate any help that would allow me to be able to use
> nmblookup (which is what backuppc uses to resolve client names to an IP
> address) and work out just what I did to samba.

Can you actually browse any windows shares at all?

> If I try and do a nmblookup for a client I get the following error
> message:

> nmblookup laptop1
> querying laptop1 on 192.168.15.255
> name_query failed to find name laptop1

Without a local master browser, this is to be expected.  It's roughly
equivalent to doing an nslookup without a DNS server.