BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup

2010-03-18 11:46:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Communicating with a windows laptop on my workgroup
From: "David Williams" <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:32:15 -0400

I posted this to a Linux forum but also wanted to post it here since this is also relates to backuppc.  I did post something a while back and some mentioned about modifying Samba so that it became a local master.  Anyway, I made the changes to my smb.conf file with the following:

local master = yes

preferred master = yes

wins support = yes

That said, I still cannot seem to perform a nmblookup on a windows laptop that is connected to my network that has a dynamic IP address L

-----

I have just noticed something in my syslog, which I believe is related to a change in my Samba setup.  I am using Backuppc to perform backups on my linux server and I was (and still am) having a problem in that I wasn't able to back up any machine that had a dynamic IP address, namely my laptop.  It seems that nmblookup will not resolve the ip address from any machines on my network.  Really not sure what the problem is since I have very little experience with this.  Also, I don't remember what change I made to the samba configuration (I had a look but nothing jumped out) other than it had to do with enforcing Samba to act as a Domain Master if that makes sense.

The errors I am getting in my syslog are as follows:

nmbd[4123]:   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:

nmbd[4123]:   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name XXXXXX<1b> for the workgroup XXXXX.

nmbd[4123]:   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

I'd really appreciate any help that would allow me to be able to use nmblookup (which is what backuppc uses to resolve client names to an IP address) and work out just what I did to samba.

If I try and do a nmblookup for a client I get the following error message:

nmblookup laptop1

querying laptop1 on 192.168.15.255

name_query failed to find name laptop1

Dave Williams

Check out our WebOS mobile phone app for the Palm Pre and Pixi:

Golf Caddie by DTW-Consulting, Inc.