BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-16 07:16:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Chris Bennett <chris AT ceegeebee DOT com>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:44:11 +1030
Hi Sorin,

> Was trying to retrace my steps and do some trouble-shooting, and got to
> samba.
> Googling a bit I found this page:
>
> http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/manual4/samba.html
>
> And this little piece of information;
>
> "For windows 2000 and XP:
>
> Disable Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data
> Disable Domain member: Digitally sign secure channel data (when possible)"
>
> As I understand it, this implies that samba does seem to need clear text
> passwords. Unfortunately I can't, or actually am not allowed, to use the more
> lax security setting in Windows, as per instrucations from the university
> IT-department.
>
> As far as I can see, this kinda' puts an end to using BPC for backing up
> Windows-machines. Or...?

Nope - trust me, it works... The doco you are reading is
  a) old
  b) irrelevant to what you are trying to achieve.
It is referring to accessing a samba server from Windows.

Can you pleasee the mount.cifs command I specified in my previous
email?

You need to get some form of file level access working before you
worry about autofs.  You could also try using smbclient:

  # list shared
  smbclient -L servername -U user@domain

  # connect to a share and give you an interactive shell to browse
  smbclient //servername/share -U user@domain

Report back how these tests goes (preferablly mount.cifs since that's
how you need it to work in the end).

Regards,

Chris Bennett
cgb