BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with key generation in Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS)

2010-03-16 21:09:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with key generation in Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS)
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 01:07:00 +0000
First, thank you again for showing how to restrict commands with ssh.

It's a very tight solution. you just do ssh and the command runs. Ok.

Regarding the previous talk, you still need to allow the backup user to sudo with visudo, right? If you want automated backups, that is.

And phraseless keys if you don't use an agent, isn't it?

About the topic, I guess we could keep this for increasing security for ssh with phraseless keys until it goes, but yes, I was just wondering.

I'll start another topic for using an agent on a server without X.
That's because, as I remember, when I had backuppc server on a machine with X, it was quite easy to make the gnome-agent send the key. The only thing was the need to insert a key on boot, what could be a problem on a power event.

I never was able to do that with ssh-agent. :(

Regards
Luis

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
On 03/16 09:31 , Luis Paulo wrote:
> Note: This may seem a bit off topic, but we are still talking about ssh and
> key generation on BackupPC, now mostly about security options, right?

It's related to ssh keys certainly. Are you wondering if it's time to change the
message subject?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator