BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups no longer run automatically

2010-03-16 20:02:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups no longer run automatically
From: Chris Bennett <chris AT ceegeebee DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:31:14 +1030
> It doesn't explicitly show why backups didn't run, but if you look down
> the 'Last Backup (days)' column, the numbers should all be less than one
> if you have daily backups scheduled.  If it is more than a day without a
> failure mentioned in the 'Last Attempt', it means that it didn't start
> as scheduled, and that's about the only thing besides the server or
> backuppc service being off that would prevent it.  So then you look at
> the top of the page where it shows the pool filesystem use.

I'm just thinking out loud how BackupPC could be more user-friendly to
the less experienced admin so they don't get frustrated and email the
list, not understanding why backup scheduling is failing.  It's a very
explicit condition, that the Server Status and/or Host Summary page
could easily report on and would make the admins life a little easier.

If there's one thing I hate about proprietary backup products it's
those little things that you have no power to change and make the
product a little less intuitive - at least with BPC, we can fix those
less-intuitive parts.

Anyway, I might put together a patch to report on this - I'm not sure
how active the 3.X release cycle is given there's lots of work going
into 4, but perhaps someone will use it... :)

> Didn't know that was even there.  Maybe there's a bug that keeps it from
> being triggered.

:)

Thanks for the conversation - BPC is a great engine and some of these
more subtle usability could be ironed out to make it have a broader
appeal (and enjoyable to use..)

Regards,

Chris Bennett
cgb