BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with key generation in Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS)

2010-03-13 10:49:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem with key generation in Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS)
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:47:38 +0000
Sure, ken. Learn and share.

A few points to make your reading easier

* backuppc server needs to log to the client as root without the need of human intervention (to insert a password, for example)

* That's why you now connect with ssh as root with empty password keys.

* empty password keys are not very secure, especialy for root user.

* the link I sent uses a different approach. You ssh as backuppc user and then you sudo to do the backup - $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}. Your rsa keys for backuppc user on both machines don't have password, but the root keys may now have passwords.

* If you could sudo as backuppc to run any command, we will not have gain much.

* Thats where visudo comes to restrict the commands a user can run as root (sudo)

* run visudo to see your actual permissions, and man sudoers for some help.

notice at visudo the line
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
It means root can do all, from anywhere impersonating anyone

Enjoy

PS: Please reply using the backuppc list when you want to ask something about backuppc.
We'll get the help of other members