BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique

2009-11-20 11:37:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique
From: Alexander Fortin <a.fortin AT studiosynthesis DOT biz>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:05:06 +0100
Hi everybody. I've been using BackupPC for more then 1 year here in
office for my small business and this is the very first post on this ML,
and that because I'm very happy with the product: so far I had no
problem at all, nor today.

I've been actually wondering what's the best way to keep a clone of the
pool directory, because I want to do an off-site copy now and then.

The only interesting thread I was able to find is this:
http://tinyurl.com/yjl4bvl

My current situation is suboptimal: everything is kept on an external
usb disk, with no raid, and until now I've been using dd to phisically
clone the entire disk to another external usb disk (keeping finger
crossed during the clone because if the master disk fails, well, I have
no backups at all).

What do you suggest as a physical storage architecture with an off-site
weekly clone? Maybe RAID1 with 2 disks as master and a spare one, to
synchronize now and then? Or maybe is better something like a RAID1 with
2 disks and then some (r)sync tool to get the cloned disk?

Thanks!

--
Alexander Fortin

Studio Synthesis srl
Business Process Consulting
Via Callegari 10, Brescia  - (+39)030/8336089
http://www.studiosynthesis.biz