BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique

2009-11-24 13:20:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:18:45 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
>> I do the shutdown for two reasons:
>>
>> 1) My system partition lives on the raid as well as the data, so I have
>> to shut down to keep everything consistent.
>> 2) My sata controller doesn't recognize hot swaps as far as I have been
>> able to determine.
>>

> Try a 'dmesg' before and after inserting the drive.  If you see the
> drive detected, you should be able to start a sync without shutting
> down.  If you swap one out and in at the same time, you should have a
> third one in the offsite rotation so they aren't all in the same place
> at the same time.

Is there a way to avoid the shutdown even with the root partition
mounted on the raid?

Next time I do a swap, I'll bring the system back up with 2 drives and
then try to hot-add the third and watch dmesg.  If I see the drive
detected, what do I need to do to get udev to create the device file
(CentOS 4)?

There are several drives in the rotation, so having two of the external
drives in hand isn't a problem.

--
Bowie