BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique

2009-11-20 17:37:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best pool cloning technique
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:34:42 -0600
Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Alexander Fortin wrote:
>> What do you suggest as a physical storage architecture with an off-site
>> weekly clone? Maybe RAID1 with 2 disks as master and a spare one, to
>> synchronize now and then? Or maybe is better something like a RAID1 with
>> 2 disks and then some (r)sync tool to get the cloned disk?
>
> The raid 1 setup is what at least a few of us on the list use.  For me,
> it works like this:
>
> My filesystem is raid 1 (via md) with 3 disks.  Two of the disks are
> internal and one is in an sata hot-swap enclosure.  Whenever I want to
> take a backup offsite, I shut down the machine, pull the third drive,
> replace it with a new one, and start it back up.  Then I just need to
> tell md to rebuild onto the new drive and then take the old one
> offsite.  I always have at least two active drives in the raid, so I
> don't have to worry about a disk failure during the rebuild.

You don't even have to shut down as long as your sata controller
recognizes hot swaps.  Just stop backuppc, unmount the partition, and
use mdadm to fail and remove the drive in the raid.  Then you can
remount and restart backuppc.  I don't bring the old offsite copy back
until the current one has been taken offsite, and it can be added to the
raid at any time, using the mdadm --add command.  The re-sync does make
the machine very busy for a  few hours so you'd want to do it at a time
when backups aren't running.

    lesmiksell AT gmail DOT com