BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] usb slow for random access? (was Re: Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools)

2009-09-15 22:46:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] usb slow for random access? (was Re: Using rsync for blockdevice-level synchronisation of BackupPC pools)
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:17:42 -0500
dan wrote:
> b) USB chipsets must hand off data to the CPU for processing which
> causes each piece of data to have additional latency going through the
> CPU once as raw USB packets to be translated by the driver and then
> again by whatever app is processing that data.  SATA/SAS/IDE all have
> DMA so they can dump the usable data to memory and the CPU can process
> it once from there.
> c)because USB packets (for storage devices) are fairly simple packets to
> decode, its the mhz that matter as its how fast the packet can be pushed
> through.  Improving controller design can only have a marginal impact on
> performance unless a high speed controller is used specifically for
> storage devices(i dont believe there are any on the market).
> d)USB devices rely on a driver to process the raw USB packets into
> scsi/ide/ata packets.  SATA/IDE controllers require a driver only to
> read packets already in the appropriate format.  More processing is done
> in the driver and software tends to have more latency that hardware.

All of the above is incorrect in more ways than I care to go into.

But the core message is the same:  USB *is* slower than eSATA simply
because USB 2.0 has a maximum bandwidth of 480mbps.  After driver and
protocol overhead, you usually get about 33 MB/s out of a USB drive.
The same drive hooked up via eSATA runs at drive speed, usually between
60MB/s to 120MB/s depending on how fast the drive actually is.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/