BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?

2009-09-02 17:17:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:12:58 -0600

Starting completely from scratch I'd probably try OpenSolaris/zfs and
use its snapshot send/receive for offsite copies.  With Linux, probably
xfs on a 64-bit version.  These are based on reading about their
features, not actual testing, though.  Realistically, if you are going
to mostly fill a drive with data, you can expect the head to have to
move around a lot to access it regardless of any magic in the filesystem
- and moving the head is still a slow operation that makes everything
else wait.

By the way, I've seen some reports that RHEL 5.4 (in beta now) includes
support for xfs - so it will probably also be in  the stock CentOS
kernel soon.

On linux id do XFS on 64bit but I would add that you can skip formatting your storage partition during installatioon and install the xfs utils and kmod with yum after the installation on centos.  ubuntu and debian can both install to XFS but your root filesystem should not be on the same physically volume as your backup data.

Watch out for hardware support with opensolaris.  it is about 80-90% compatible but I have a nack for owning that 10-20% of incompatible hardware.  Also, be very sure that you have a rediculous amount of ram for ZFS.  I'm talking 4GB+.  Also, ZFS really wants a quad core, you know, 2 for ZFS and 2 for your OS.  And I highly discourage ZFS on *BSD right now as it is just not stable yet.