BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?

2009-09-03 01:55:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:51:25 +0200
Hi,

dan wrote on 2009-09-02 19:26:29 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?]:
> > > Sorting the stat()
> > > calls by inode number would help, but I doubt 'ls' is optimized for
> > > such an unusual usage case (but I haven't checked, so I might be wrong).
> >
> >         that is the job of the SCSI (and not SATA) command queuing,
> >        reorder the requests to optimize the head seeks... that is
> >        also why IDE suck so much
> >

> That is about 90% correct.

yes, but it's only 0% applicable. 'ls' is single-threaded. It loops over a
directory and calls stat() for each file. stat() blocks until it has an
answer. Then the next stat() call is done. There is nothing for the OS (or
the disk hardware) to reorder, because only one stat() call is in progress
at a time. That is why I said 'ls' would have to reorder the calls. Well, it
could also do them in parallel ;-).

Regards,
Holger