BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?

2009-09-05 20:34:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Which FS?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:27:45 -0600

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:26:29 -0600, dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> This is somewhat dependant on filesystem and IO Scheduler of the OS.
> Some  filesystems excel under IO loads (ZFS) but shrivel and die under RAM
> pressure(ZFS)

       strange, was not really my experience...
       before i used backuppc, i used a hand made rsync script on
       a solaris with ZFS and during the backups the machine as dog
       slow and trying to use the ZFS filesystem took seconds
       and even minutes...but still had free ram (about 2GB)

Earlier releases of ZFS did this.  I had this same issue until I updated.  I cant remember version numbers but today's ZFS doesnt lock up like this.  Best explanation I found was a bug in the write buffer that used way too much CPU and locked the process ZFS was using for periods of time.  This seems to have been solved.

       maybe because i had just 2 HDs and for several times i
       manage to fill 100% the ZFS (i found that with 0 bytes
       free, you cant delete anything, just a echo > big_file
       would help there). it was still too new and buggy for sure,
       and i probably stressed too much that poor XFS :)

I also had this issue with ZFS.  The solution was to make a small volume that you could destroy if other volumes got to full.  This is a stupid bug for sure.

       i gave up that ZFS and script after a powerlost and the ZFS
       didnt come online no matter what i did... after 2 days of
       unsuccessful tries, i installed backuppc.

ZFS is a monster and there were a lot of bugs in earlier versions.  It has started to mellow out quite a bit.  I wouldnt write it off just yet BUT I am more interested in the upcoming btrfs.  It is a lot simpler code and already has more people contributing.