BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-09-01 00:35:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: "Jacob Hydeman" <jhydeman AT gmail DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:31:18 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey J. Kosowsky [mailto:backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org]
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:40 PM
To: General list for user discussion, questions and support

Jacob Hydeman wrote at about 18:28:54 -0700 on Thursday, August 20, 2009:

 > > Jacob, could you make your specific rsync.exe + cygwin.dll available
for
 > > testing?  I have no experience compiling things in Windows and would
 > > most likely screw it up somehow.
 >
 > Here is a zip of the folder I use for each XP host:
 > http://www.itfresno.com/exe/backuppc.zip
 >
 > Minus the secrets file...
 >
 > This is based on the article here:
 > http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62
 >
 > A few things were modified on both the backuppc machine as well as the
 > scripts, but only for my environment.
 >
 > Please keep in mind that simple file sharing has to be turned off... a
snag
 > which cost me a lot in trouble shooting (not a problem if you're on a
 > domain, this client is 80+ units on peer to peer)

> Why does simple file sharing need to be turned off?
> If I understand that correctly, it would be a significant limitation
> on XP Home systems where that is the only type of file sharing that
exists.

The simple file sharing is a requirement of the winexe service. You can read
more about it here: http://eol.ovh.org/winexe/

I am looking into the XP Home issue, and some suggest that you can change
permissions and such if you boot into safe mode under the admin account,
more specifically simple file sharing is "disabled". I won't try it any time
soon, but was thinking of making a C$ share in safemode and adding the admin
as a user.

Jacob