BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync "getpeerbyname" error on only one machine

2009-09-02 12:40:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync "getpeerbyname" error on only one machine
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:36:28 -0500
> Michael Stowe wrote:
>> After a little more poking around, it seems the problem goes away if one
>> of the networks is disabled.  Next thing for me to try:  binding rsync
>> the correct network and leaving both active.
>
> Since smb works and this seems to be a name resolution issue, maybe DNS is
> set
> up wrong on the other NIC - since this is a per-nic configuration in
> windows.

In my case, that's not true.  What appears to be happening is that
BackupPC has no trouble contacting rsyncd, but then rsyncd gets confused
and complains about perfoming an operation on the wrong socket.  Both
networks actually work perfectly well by themselves and in tendem, so I'm
speculating that rsyncd/cygwin has a problem knowing which network it
should be responding to.

>> At the risk of stating what you already know, Administrators in Windows
>> don't automatically have access to everything (unlike root) and it's
>> possible for a user to revoke access to the Administrator account or to
>> the Administrator group.  If you have the user's credentials, you should
>> be able to grant permission to either or both.
>
> Where might I find some readable documentation on how windows permissions
> actually work?  I was under the impression that the Backup Operators group
> always had access while an Administrator might have to change ownership to
> get
> it - but I have a machine where that doesn't seem to be the case.

It's definitely not the case -- Windows' file permissions can be
essentially arbitrary, and there's no concept of a "root" user -- where
there is a Backup user or group, it generally has no special meaning
outside policies, and there's nothing to stop a user with rights to revoke
privileges.  I'll look around later this week for a useful resource on the
topic.