BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync "getpeerbyname" error on only one machine

2009-09-01 11:18:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin rsync "getpeerbyname" error on only one machine
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:14:06 -0500
I can offer two clues:

1) I experienced this on an XP system where a personal firewall had been
installed, but turned off.  Deinstalling the personal firewall (and
turning on the built-in one) solved the problem.

2) I recently experienced this on an XP laptop after upgrading
cygwin/rsync after several hundred successful backups.  After downgrading,
the problem has gone away.  I can only speculate why this machine is
unique, but perhaps it's a clue that it has two active networks.