BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 23:31:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Jim Leonard <trixter AT oldskool DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:17:24 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> But a program should not be dependent on volume management. Volume
> management is a general tool that can be helpful but should not be
> required.

BackupPC isn't "dependent" on volume management more than any other
program.  Volume management is simply one way to get around the
limitations of storing more data than a single device will allow.  Do
you think that expanding an SQL database would be different?

Your reply is probably "but I can add more filesystems to work with the
database method" -- but I can simply add more volumes to my existing
filesystem.  It's the same operation in both cases, with the same
complexity, yet in your scenario, now I need yet another component to
maintain that can fail (a database).

 > In fact, personally, I have never seen a non-enterprise
> piece of software that so clearly required it's own dedicated
> filesystem along with volume management.

Then I would suggest you haven't seen enough software.  Backup systems
are not trivial systems, and it should be implied that you would never
set them up without consulting their operation and requirements.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter AT oldskool DOT org)            http://www.oldskool.org/