BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 16:27:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:23:41 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  >
>  > > I see lots of advantage in keeping the database portion relatively
>  > > small, fast, replicable, and moveable. Then you can keep and
>  > > distribute the files themselves wherever you want them spread across
>  > > one or more separate filesystems. Then the database portion is
>  > > optimized for what a database does best and the file-storing
>  > > portion can be optimized for what a filesystem stores best. And both
>  > > parts are easily moveable, replicable and not dependent or limited by
>  > > hardlinks or other filesystem-dependent functionality.
>  >
>  > But the parts aren't independent.  How do you propose keeping them in
>  > sync or fixing them when they inevitably differ?
>
> Perhaps analogously to the way BackupPC_Nightly now makes sure that
> pool is in synch.

It just uses filesystem operations so it is as reliable as the
filesystem itself.

> More generally, we would need to consider two things:
> 1. What are the normal ways in which the two could get out of synch
>    and then address each of those cases

Start with that copy you wanted to be able to make.  If the files and
metadata are separate things, there will clearly be times they are out
of sync and lots of opportunity for them to stay that way.

> 2. If necessary, create a repair tool (similar to what I created for
>    the current system) if something breaks in non-standard ways (e.g.,
>    due to crashes, disk failures, etc.)
>
> I guess I can't answer your question without knowing what use cases
> you are worried about.

All of them.  Filesystems have journal/check mechanisms.  How would you
provide the equivalent?