BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 20:08:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 02:05:28 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2009-08-31 18:15:07 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Problems with hardlink-based backups...]:
> Les Mikesell wrote at about 15:23:41 -0500 on Monday, August 31, 2009:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I guess I can't answer your question without knowing what use cases
>  > > you are worried about.
>  >
>  > All of them.

that is the point, precisely. You need to deal with *all of them*. Anything
that can happen, whether you can anticipate it or not.

>  > Filesystems have journal/check mechanisms.  How would you
>  > provide the equivalent?
>
> I am certainly not a database expert but I am aware enough to know
> that such integrity issues are dealt with all the time in real world
> databases

Wrong. That is what you are missing. We're not talking about in-database
corruption, we're dealing with inconsistencies on the application level. The
database and its related tools don't know anything about the *meaning* of the
data BackupPC puts inside the database. You can't have a

  FOREIGN KEY (filename) REFERENCES external-file-path ON DELETE RESTRICT

(i.e. as long as something references the file, the file system may not delete
it). Do you understand that?

> I am only suggesting that the current implementation seems to be difficult
> to extend to address other relatively common and standard backup
> requirements.

Fair enough, and agreed.

> Let's all keep an open mind, especially since we are all far from committing
> development resources to any path.

Discussions in this length *are* development resources.

Regards,
Holger