BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...

2009-08-31 17:40:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with hardlink-based backups...
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:37:33 -0500
> Michael Stowe wrote at about 15:29:42 -0500 on Monday, August 31, 2009:
>  >
>  > > Use of hard links to reduce
>  > > disk usage dates back to the inception of hard links.  It's not a
kludge, its an established feature of unix based filesystems.
>  >
>  > It's also an established feature of Windows' filesystem NTFS, for the
> record.
>  >

> Except that I believe that NTFS hard links don't work with BackupPC so
they are different. In fact, the NTFS analogy I believe are joins which
are not the same as hard links since they can be done across filesystems
and since they can be done for directories. Though my memory could be
wrong.

Junction points are more similar to symbolic links, and hardlinks are
pretty much identical to *nix hardlinks.  I can't speak to whether or not
they work with BackupPC (I doubt it, since it would require a specific
Windows implementation) but I can't imagine using NTFS for the repository.