BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-19 23:41:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:38:27 -0500
Jim Leonard wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> performance on windows is just expected, and compensated for by running
>> more instances concurrently if the server is waiting.
>
> Wait, I can run multiple backups concurrently?  That would solve
> problems; I've gotten nearly my full throughput by running four rsyncs
> simultaneously.  How can I configure BackupPC to fire off all shares on
> a single host simultaneously?
>
> My configuration is this (amended for brevity):
>
> [cdrive]
>      path = /cygdrive/c/
>      auth users = backuppc
> [edrive]
>      path = /cygdrive/e/
>      auth users = backuppc
> [mc3]
>      path = /cygdrive/h/mc3
>      auth users = backuppc
> [work]
>      path = /cygdrive/h/work
>      auth users = backuppc
>
> This is all on a single Windows host.  The latter two, mc3 and work, are
> about 1T each, and doing all of these one at a time means that a full
> backup runs for days and day at 5MB/s (in fact it's never completed).
>
> Is there a way to configure BackupPC to fire off all four of these
> shares simultaneously?  All I saw was how to fire off multiple hosts
> simultaneously, not multiple shares on the same host.

This probably isn't quite what you want but you can configure 4 different
hosts,
each with one of the shares, and then use the $Conf{ClientNameAlias} option to
point three of them back to the real host.  Normally you'd use this only if you
wanted different scheduling or options on the shares but it should permit
concurrency too.