BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-19 12:45:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:42:03 -0500
Craig Barratt wrote:

>> I believe Craig is researching other alternatives (a fuse FS to handle
>> compression and deduplication, so BackupPC could, in fact, use native rsync).
>> If that proves unviable, upgrading File::RsyncP to protocol version 30 would
>> probably be next. But File::RsyncP is open source, so you're free to optimize
>> it yourself :-). If I find any time at all, I'll take a closer look at the
>> matter, but that's pretty much an "if (0)" ...
>
> I have built a prototype (and standalone) fuse implmentation that
> does deduplication, compression and supports extended attributes.
>
> I am starting to test it with native rsync.  My initial results show
> is that it is quite slow.  Basic rsync system calls often take many
> file system operations.  I need to figure out how much faster it can
> be made.  I also am mindful of the issue of incomplete fuse support.
>
> Failing that, I agree my next step is to upgrade File::RsyncP.

A fuse implementation that allowed native tools to see what looks like a
normal filesystem so find/grep, etc. would work on the archived files
would be handy in other ways, but only if performance is good enough to
be useful.  The other possibility is that a free block-level
de-duplicating filesystem will become available in the future (it's
planned for zfs at least).  So, it might be useful if backuppc had an
easy way to just turn off everything related to pooling and pool
management while still managing everything else.