BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-19 12:19:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:13:19 -0700
Holger writes:

> I believe Craig is researching other alternatives (a fuse FS to handle
> compression and deduplication, so BackupPC could, in fact, use native rsync).
> If that proves unviable, upgrading File::RsyncP to protocol version 30 would
> probably be next. But File::RsyncP is open source, so you're free to optimize
> it yourself :-). If I find any time at all, I'll take a closer look at the
> matter, but that's pretty much an "if (0)" ...

I have built a prototype (and standalone) fuse implmentation that
does deduplication, compression and supports extended attributes.

I am starting to test it with native rsync.  My initial results show
is that it is quite slow.  Basic rsync system calls often take many
file system operations.  I need to figure out how much faster it can
be made.  I also am mindful of the issue of incomplete fuse support.

Failing that, I agree my next step is to upgrade File::RsyncP.

Craig