BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering whereitcomes from

2009-06-04 06:10:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering whereitcomes from
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:03:07 +0200
Hallo Tino,

> > But that may be a weird and complex way-of-thinking that is
> affecting
> > only me :-/
>
> Nope, I tend to think like that as well. :-|

OK, let's not waste anoybody's time with above "phylosophycal"
matters... ;-)

> The short answer is: You cannot account for single host disk
> usage because of pooling.

Thanks for stating one of my unwritten thoughts. I was considering that
issue too, but I also thought: "if I do 'du -sh' I get the *real*
occupation for that directory", thus I could be accounting on that
base...

> Suppose, you've got three hosts, all with the same operating
> system. All common files will be in the pool only once. And
> they will get hardlinked every time you do a full backup.

[cut]

I'm backing up only user data directories (in fact, I'm backing up the
shares of customers' servers), thus I can't imagine there will be many
hardlinks. Nevertheless, I'm seeing that the only value that may be
considered is the one shown in the "Host Summary" page.

[cut]

> My advice: Just account on total amount of data backed up.
> And this is the number you get in the host summary page as
> "Full Size(GB)" and in host status page in the "File
> Size/Count Reuse Summary" table in "Totals" column - here you
> can also see the pooling effects nicely.

As I stated above, I think I will be accounting like you're suggesting
to: "Host Summary" page will have to be enough, for me and for my
customers.

Thanks for sharing thoughts!

Regards,
Flavio Boniforti