BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering whereitcomes from

2009-06-04 09:22:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering whereitcomes from
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:16:57 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hallo Tino,
>
>>> But that may be a weird and complex way-of-thinking that is
>> affecting
>>> only me :-/
>> Nope, I tend to think like that as well. :-|
>
> OK, let's not waste anoybody's time with above "phylosophycal"
> matters... ;-)

On the contrary, Pythagoras' advice to 'First think, then act' has never
been a waste of time.

>> The short answer is: You cannot account for single host disk
>> usage because of pooling.
>
> Thanks for stating one of my unwritten thoughts. I was considering that
> issue too, but I also thought: "if I do 'du -sh' I get the *real*
> occupation for that directory", thus I could be accounting on that
> base...

And this difference is pretty much the whole reason for using backuppc
instead of other backup programs.  It's common to be able to hold 10x
the history online as you might otherwise because of the way storage is
shared.