BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering where itcomes from

2009-06-04 11:57:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary - Full Size: Wondering where itcomes from
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:32:04 -0400
Tino Schwarze wrote at about 11:44:29 +0200 on Thursday, June 4, 2009:
 > Hi Flavio,
 >
 > On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:23:36AM +0200, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
 >
 > > > Q: Does anyone know?
 > > > A: Yes
 > >
 > > Maybe I'm the only human which thinks a bit more "elastically", but if
 > > anybody asks:
 > >
 > > "Anybody knows why there's difference between the above 2 values?"
 > >
 > > I'm prone to explain *why* there's a difference and not wasting my time
 > > and the time of others for typing simply "yes".
 > > But that may be a weird and complex way-of-thinking that is affecting
 > > only me :-/
 >
 > Nope, I tend to think like that as well. :-|
 >
 > > > Asked and answered.  What you were really looking for was:
 > > >
 > > > Q: Please explain to me the difference between the two number?
 > > > A: The file structure under  backuppc has little resemblance
 > > > to the file structure of the original system.  For each
 > > > directory, there is essentially a file with the directory
 > > > information as it appears on the original system (to handle
 > > > permissions and such).  This will cause the numbers to differ
 > > > across multiple directories.  There may be more reasons, but
 > > > the question seems so arbitrary and pointless I dont care to
 > > > put a lot of effort into getting a definitive answer.  Maybe
 > > > if you have a good reason why you care why the numbers are
 > > > different I might be more interested.
 > >
 > > The reason which *for me* is worth knowing to which value I have to
 > > trust and *why*, is the fact that I have to account for HDD space usage.
 > > I'd really be happy using the values that BackupPC shows in the "Host
 > > Summary", but if they ain't really what HDD space usage should be, I
 > > just want to know which value to consider. If anybody has already done
 > > this sort of considerations (HDD space accounting per single host, which
 > > corresponds to a single customer), please explain to me his or her
 > > considerations.
 >
 > The short answer is: You cannot account for single host disk usage
 > because of pooling.
 >
 > Suppose, you've got three hosts, all with the same operating system. All
 > common files will be in the pool only once. And they will get hardlinked
 > every time you do a full backup.
 >
 > So you get three hosts, with, say, 5 backups each. The /boot/vmlinuz
 > file will be shared by all those 15 backups. How would you account disk
 > space?
 >
 > And it get's more complicated in practice. Customer 1 installes Firefox,
 > Customer 2 and 3 use Opera. So, now only 2 and 3 share the common
 > Opera files in the pool (which might be compressed after all).
 >
 > Even if you developed some formula how to account for disk space, it
 > is very expensive to figure out who shares a common pool file - you'd
 > need to scan all pc/ directories and remember inode numbers etc.
 >
 > My advice: Just account on total amount of data backed up. And this is
 > the number you get in the host summary page as "Full Size(GB)" and in
 > host status page in the "File Size/Count Reuse Summary" table in
> [...]

Also, as a rough shortcut, almost all of the storage should be in the
pool/cpool directories, so you can get a good estimate by doing
something like du -s on those directories. Almost all the files in the
pc hierarchy are either hard links to the pool or zero-size except for
the log & admin files in the top directory of each host and the attrib
files in each subdirectory.