BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-06-02 23:20:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:13:41 -0500
David Williams wrote:
>> If you installed from scratch from the sourceforge tarball you would be
>> able to change the storage location, but the location is embedded in the
>> code during the install process.  If you are using a version packaged
>> for a distribution, this step has already been done and you can't change
>> it with just the TopDir setting.  You really need to mount the disk at
>> /var/lib/backuppc (copy everything that needs to be there first). You'll
>> probably also need to mount the disk async to get any performance.
>
> Les, thanks for the info.  Can you just give me a little more info in
> regards to what you mean about "copy everything that needs to be there
> first".  If mount my drive from the current location (/backups) to
> /var/lib/backuppc then won't everything that is currently in /backups be
> where /var/lib/backuppc is now ?  Do you mean to copy whatever is currently
> in /var/lib/backuppc to /backups first, and then mount the drive at
> /var/lib/backuppc ?

If you are just starting, I'd remove the backuppc package, mount the
drive at /var/lib/backuppc, then reinstall the package so everything
lands in the right place.  If you have things you need to save, you need
to copy them to where they would have landed with that setup.  You could
   rename your current /var/lib/backuppc to something else and create a
new one, change the mount point and copy, or copy first.  Renaming the
existing directory is probably the best approach since if you mount on
top of it the contents will be hidden but still consume space.

> I current mount the NFS drive as follows:
>
> backupdevice1:/shares/internal/PUBLIC /backups nfs
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0
>
> I took a look at the options and there is no async option, just a sync
> option.  According to the info sync does the following:  All I/O to the file
> system should be done synchronously.

I think async is the default these days.