BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-06-02 22:20:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: "David Williams" <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:47:17 -0400
>If you installed from scratch from the sourceforge tarball you would be
>able to change the storage location, but the location is embedded in the
>code during the install process.  If you are using a version packaged
>for a distribution, this step has already been done and you can't change
>it with just the TopDir setting.  You really need to mount the disk at
>/var/lib/backuppc (copy everything that needs to be there first). You'll
>probably also need to mount the disk async to get any performance.

Les, thanks for the info.  Can you just give me a little more info in
regards to what you mean about "copy everything that needs to be there
first".  If mount my drive from the current location (/backups) to
/var/lib/backuppc then won't everything that is currently in /backups be
where /var/lib/backuppc is now ?  Do you mean to copy whatever is currently
in /var/lib/backuppc to /backups first, and then mount the drive at
/var/lib/backuppc ?

I current mount the NFS drive as follows:

backupdevice1:/shares/internal/PUBLIC /backups nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0

I took a look at the options and there is no async option, just a sync
option.  According to the info sync does the following:  All I/O to the file
system should be done synchronously.