BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-06-02 19:02:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:57:41 -0500
David Williams wrote:
> I did finally get around to hacking my drive and enabling NFS.  I can now
> mount it as NFS and backuppc is now working again :)
>
> However, there might still be something wrong with my setup.
>
> I am running Mandriva 2009.0 and installed backuppc from the Mandriva
> respostiory.
>
> I updated the config.pl file and one of the things that I did change was the
> TopDir parameter, which I set to /backups
>
> My backups are currently going to /backups/pc/xxxx, where xxxx is the host
> that I am backing up.
>
> I was re-reading the email below about the pool files and I didn't see
> anything under /backups/cpool or /backups/pool.
>
> On further investigation I do see files/directories under
> /var/lib/backuppc/cpool.  By changing the TopDir parameter in the config.pl
> file have I messed anything up ?  Backups seem to be working (very slowly),
> but they are working.  I am assuming that this is ok but not sure.
>
> Under /var/lib/backuppc/cpool are directories like 0/ 1/ 2/ 3/, etc but when
> I drill down into some of these directories I don't see any files.
>
> Would appreciate some help.

If you installed from scratch from the sourceforge tarball you would be
able to change the storage location, but the location is embedded in the
code during the install process.  If you are using a version packaged
for a distribution, this step has already been done and you can't change
it with just the TopDir setting.  You really need to mount the disk at
/var/lib/backuppc (copy everything that needs to be there first). You'll
probably also need to mount the disk async to get any performance.