BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD

2009-06-02 18:13:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD
From: Les Stott <les AT cyberpro.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 07:52:48 +1000
Les Mikesell wrote:
Tate1 wrote:

Thanks to all ! and sorry if I don't understand some answers properly but as i said my english is not very good.

Ok, i'll talk with my boss and see what he let me to do with the server. If there isn't any other solution I will do RAID between disks.

Just for curious: could I install 2 BACKUPPC's, one in each HDD? I mean, Disk1 like now with the O.S. and the actual backuppc with PC1, and install another backuppc in Disk2 with pc2.

....probably be a nonsense... but it's an idea....

That is theoretically possible but would take some code changes to avoid
  conficts with locations and network ports.  It might be easier to run
vmware or virtualbox so it looks like a completely different machine
that could run a stock version of backuppc as the 2nd instance.

You can install multiple instances of BackupPC on the one machine, each having its own web interface and own data store. I have done it, it does work, but it isn't pretty. In my instances i have backuppc on the main filesystem doing backups of network pc's and the second instance is installed on a usb drive backing up the localhost (but not the local backuppc data store) for offsite backup and includes rotating usb disks.
The backuppc on usb drive is slow to write backups - about 1mb/s which makes backups of 40-80gb take 10-12 hours, and i've had issues where the two cgi interfaces i created get confused over which backuppc instance they should be talking too and consequently you start editting the wrong configuration files.

While it does work if i had my time over again i would definitely choose a different approach such as vmware. All you need is plenty of memory which is relatively cheap.

regards,

Les Stott