BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-06-01 06:57:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Pieter Wuille <sipa AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:53:47 +0200
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:22:13AM -0400, Stephane Rouleau wrote:
> Pieter Wuille wrote:
> >
> > This is how we handle backups of the backuppc pool:
> > * the pool itself is on a LUKS-encrypted XFS filesystem, on a LVM volume,
> > on a
> >   software RAID1 of 2 1TB disks.
> > * twice a week following procedure in run:
> >   * Freeze the XFS filesystem, sync, lvm-snapshot the encrypted volume
> >   * Unfreeze
> >   * send the snapshot over ssh to an offsite server (which thus only ever
> > sees
> >     the encrypted data)
> >   * remove the snapshot
> > * The offsite server has 2 smaller disks (not in RAID), and snapshots are
> > sent
> >   in turn to one and to the other. This means we still have a complete pool
> > if
> >   something would goes wrong during the transfer (which takes +- a day)
> > * The consistency of the offsite backups can be verified by exporting them
> >   over NBD (network block device), and mounting them on the
> >   normal backup server (which has the encryption keys)
> >
> > We use a blockdevice-based solution instead of a filesystem-based one,
> > because
> > the many small files (16 million inodes and growing) makes those very disk-
> > and cpu intensive. (simply doing a "find | wc -l" in the root takes hours).
> > Furthermore it makes encryption easier.
> > We are also working on a rsync-like system for block devices (yet that might
> > still take some time...), which would bring the time for synchronising the
> > backup server with the offsite one down to 1-2 hours.
> >
> > Greetz,
> >

> Pieter,
>
> This sounds rather close to what I'd like to have over the coming months.  I
> just recently reset our backup pool, and rather stupidly did not select an
> encrypted filesystem (Otherwise we're on XFS, LVM, RAID1 2x1.5TB).  Figured
> I'd encrypt the offsite only, but I see now that it'd be much better to send
> data at the block level.
>
> You mention the capacity of your pool file system, but how much space is
> typically used on it?  Curious also what kind of connection speed you have
> with your offsite backup solution.

Some numbers:
* backup server has 1TB of RAID1 storage
  * contains amonst others a 400GiB XFS volume for backuppc
    * daily/weekly backups of +- 195GiB of data
    * contains 256GiB of backups (expected to increase significantly still)
    * contains 16.8 million inodes
    * according to LVM snapshot usage, avg. 1.5 GiB of data blocks change on
this volume daily
* offsite backup server has 2x 500GB of non-RAID storage
  * twice a week, the whole 400GiB volume is sent over a 100Mbps connection (at
+- 8.1MiB/s)
    * that's a huge waste for maybe 5GiB of changed data, but the bandwidth is
generously provided by the university
    * we hope to have a more efficient blockdevice-level synchronisation system
in a few months

PS: sorry for the strange subject earlier - i used a wrong 'from' address first
and forwared it

--
Pieter