BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD

2009-06-01 16:14:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD
From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown AT riverbendhose DOT com>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:15:01 -0400
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 05:40
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

Tate1 wrote:
> Thanks for reply  :D
>
> mmm... i think i didn't explain correctly. This is my situation:
>
> Disk 1 mounted / 99% size used
> Disk 2 mounted /media/secundary_disk 0% size used
>
> Now i have pc1 and pc2 in /var/lib/backuppc/pc/, and becouse Disk1 is near
to be full filled i want to move pc2 at the Disk 2 and keep saving the
backups there. So I execute:

> mv /var/lib/backuppc/pc/pc2  /media/secundary_disk/
> ln -sd /media/secundary_disk/pc2  /var/lib/backuppc/pc2
>

> Doing this, when backuppc starts the copy brings the error i said in my
last post (previous versions of BackupPC don't).

> Can i disable the cpool?
> or can i stablish a cpool directory for each pc?

In short, no.

All folders and files under /var/lib/backuppc must be on the same
filesystem. You could move /var/lib/backuppc to /media/secundary_disk
and then remount or bind mount that to /var/lib/backuppc. Assuming the
new disk is bigger than the old disk...

> RAID1 it's good idea but i can't modify the hardware of the server.

RAID1 wouldn't increase your storage capacity anyway. However, you could
use RAID1 without modifying the hardware (using software RAID).

In any case, you would be much better off doing 2 things:
1) Use the second hard drive for ALL backuppc data storage, or adding
another hard drive big enough to do this.

2) Use 2 hard drives of equal size in a RAID1 mirror (or 3 or more in a
RAID5 or RAID6) to ensure that your backups will survive a disk failure.

RAID1 or RAID5 will certainly reduce the likelihood of data loss, but I'm
not sure that either RAID configuration ensures data protection. I've read
arguments that, as the size of drives increase, the likelihood of RAID5
protecting data decreases. An offsite backup of your data is your best
insurance.

This can be a contentious issue, and I am no expert. Here are links.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162&tag=nl.e539
http://miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

As Adam said, just my opinion. And probably less informed than his.

Tom

Just my opinion...

Regards,
Adam

- --
Adam Goryachev
Website Managers
www.websitemanagers.com.au

is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand creativity professionals.
Meet