BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Another BackupPC Fuse filesystem

2009-06-02 16:21:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Another BackupPC Fuse filesystem
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:17:18 -0400
Pieter Wuille wrote at about 21:40:46 +0200 on Tuesday, June 2, 2009:
 > On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:31:54PM -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Pieter Wuille wrote at about 17:57:06 +0200 on Tuesday, June 2, 2009:
 > <cut>
 > >  > If anyone's interested at trying/looking at it:
 > >  > https://svn.ulyssis.org/repos/sipa/backuppc-fuse/backuppcfs.pl
 > >  >
 > <cut>
 > >  > It is only tested on one 3.1 backuppc pool on a Ubuntu 8.04 system, and
 > > not
 > >  > very extensively. It only opens files/directories in read-only mode,
 > > thus
 > >  > shouldn't be able to damage a working backuppc pool if something goes
 > > wrong.
 > >  >
 > >  > I'd like to get some feedback; ideas, bugreports, ... are very welcome.
 > >
 > > Just took a quick spin on it -- looks AWESOME!
 > > In my mind this is the way to go and *much* more useful and infinitely
 > > faster than trying to navigate the web interface. This gives me
 > > *exactly* what I want which is rapid access to all my backup files in
 > > a CLI format that allows me to apply common *nix utilities like 'cp',
 > > 'less'
 > > 'grep', 'diff' etc. to examine and manipulate different backup
 > > versions.
 > Thanks :)
 >
 > > Couple of questions/comments:
 > > 1. Is there anyway to get the root share directory to mount as '/'
 > >    rather than as '_/"? Having root mount differently detracts a
 > >    little from the naturalness of it all.
 >
 > It shouldn't be too hard to change that. The only problem is what to do when
 > you have a '/' share and a '/etc' share, and he '/' share contains a 'etc'
 > dir/file/.... probably won't occur, and i agree it's a more natural way.

You could always add a flag that would add an (arbitrary) base name to
the root share if needed.

 > > 2. What happens when a new backup is run while the fusefs is mounted?
 > >    Is there an easy way to get the new backup to appear automagically
 > >    or do you need to unmount/remount?
 > Refreshing of nodes in the directory cache occurs when:
 > - an expire happens (depending on where in the filesystem, the TTL is
 >   either 80000s, 40000s or 1000000s (see the source code))
 > - there's a request for something inexisting. eg. if a new backup #35
 >   is created while the cache only has backups up to #34, and you'd do a
 >   "cd 35" even though "ls" does not show a dir '35', it should work
 >   (and the 35 should exist afterwards in the listing too) - untested though

Would a refresh of the parent node catch a newly created backup before
the timeout?

 > > 3. What happens when a backup is expired or deleted while the fusefs
 > >    is mounted?
 > Completely untested... i assume a lot of errors might occur when you try to
 > read files - maybe empty files, crashes, ...
 > Errors don't propagate upwards in the tree, so only a refresh of the parent
 > node in the tree would fix it - so either an expire or the request of
 > something
 > inexisting.

Probably should be tested at some point... and then behaviors adjusted
to minimize the nastiness of and maximize the recovery from any
resulting errors.

 > > 5. It might be nice to add a feature that allows you to get info on
 > >    the backup itself - say time/day created, incremental level,
 > >    etc. Also, it might be nice to be able to print an ascii tree of
 > >    the backup hierarchy. I know this is not strictly speaking part of
 > >    any fuse filesystem but it would be a nice companion CLI accessory
 > >    since now when I start listing backups I realize that I only see
 > >    the 'number' and don't get a good handle on the other data about
 > >    the backup.
 > I've thought about this myself too - just not sure in what format and where.
 > The information you can get from backuppc about a host is limited, but you
 > can get somewhat more about specific backups. Creating one or more "files" in
 > a "host"-directory is quite simple, but inside the backup#-directories is
 > harder (since there may be real backup data already there if you have a '/'
 > share).
 > About the CLI tool: do you mean 'tree' ?

Yeah a tree something like the way pstree displays: e.g.,
  Machine 1:
         1 +
           |- 2 +
           |    |- 3 +
           |         |- 4 +
           |- 5 +
                |- 6 +
                     |- 7 +
         8 +
           |- 9 +
                |- 10

  Machine 2:
         1 +
           |- 2 +
           |    |- 3 +
           |         |- 4 +
           |- 5 +
                |- 6 +
                     |- 7 +
         8 +
           |- 9 +
                |- 10

 > > 6. If it is too complicated to make the filesystem writable at the
 > >    individual file level by allowing the deletion of individual files,
 > >    an easier first step would be to allow the deletion of backups (and
 > >    all descendants backups). This is a *much* easier problem than
 > >    individual file deletion and only requires deleting the root
 > >    directory trees and deleting the corresponding lines from the
 > >    'backup' log file.
 > Currently all data comes from the BackupPC libraries itself, and i'd like to
 > keep it that way for now. Such modifications to the tree require some
 > duplication of knowledge about backuppc backups.

   OK - but it is a fertile area for future development...