BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-05-25 11:55:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:51:38 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> How often do you want to backup the server?  What about using
>> rsync to backup the pool?  I want to mirror my primary backup
>> server to another system daily so I can switch to my backup
>> server quickly.  I was going to use rsync for this.
>
> Well, backing it up once a day would be ok for me too. You will use
> rsync because it handles hardlinks, am I right?
> My goal is the same as yours: switch immediately onto another server if
> my BackupPC server dies.
>
> Can you tell us about your results when you set it up?

If you want a 'live' backup on a nearby machine you might look at drbd
which is sort of like raid over the network.  If you don't need
auto-failover, though, you can get fairly high availability with normal
RAID1 in a chassis with swappable drives.  In the fairly likely event of
a single disk failure, you just swap in a new drive and rebuild the
mirror.  In the less likely event of a motherboard component failure you
  yank the drives and move them to a spare chassis that you've kept for
that purpose.  It is still a good idea to have offsite copies of the
archive in case of a building disaster or a software or operator error
that destroys the running copy.

Rsync may work - depending on the size of your archive and the amount of
RAM you have.