BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: Limit on the depth of folders backed up?

2009-05-25 13:17:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: Limit on the depth of folders backed up?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Dean Lambourn <deanl AT pcf DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:11:57 +0200
Hi,

Dean Lambourn wrote on 2009-05-15 13:11:43 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] Backuppc:
Limit on the depth of folders backed up?]:
> Is there a limit on the folder depth for backups?

there is no explicit limit (as in "max. 15 levels"), but the operating system
storing the pool will have a limit on the maximum path length. BackupPC file
name mangling always makes a path longer (by adding an "f" every level and
prepending $topDir/pc/$host/$num/), so you might run into a problem if you
have *extremely* long paths (on my system, limits.h shows PATH_MAX to be 4096)
or maximally size path components (NAME_MAX = 255). Highly unlikely, if you ask
me.

> I recently noticed
> that on at least one system not all files were being backed up despite
> the backup being listed as successful.  On the system in question,
> backup files exist in this folder:
>
>  fC$/fDocuments and Settings/fromelas/fApplication
> Data/fThunderbird/fProfiles/fyjiupmno.default/fMail/fLocal
> Folders/fCustomers.sbd/fOverstock.sbd/
>
> But when you go 1 level deeper:
>
>  fC$/fDocuments and Settings/fromelas/fApplication
> Data/fThunderbird/fProfiles/fyjiupmno.default/fMail/fLocal
> Folders/fCustomers.sbd/fOverstock.sbd/fUIR EMWs.sbd/
>
> There are no files in the backup even though folders exist for deeper
> levels.

You are probably looking at an incremental backup for which no files in this
directory needed to be backed up. Look at the web interface instead. It will
fill in unchanged files from the previous backup for you.

Regards,
Holger