BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-05-19 12:16:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:12:25 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there is a regular discussion on how to backup/move/copy the
>> backuppc pool. Did anyone try to backup the pool with bacula?
>
> Hello there...
>
> I don't know about bacula, but would like myself also to get a backup of
> the BackupPC server: anybody got some suggestions and practical
> examples?

I think the only way to do it at a reasonable speed is to unmount the
partition where the archive is stored and image-copy it to an
equal-sized partition.  Or, if you created it as a RAID1 with a missing
mirror, you can add/sync a mirror while mounted - but you still won't
have any performance if you try to do anything else for the duration of
the copy and you need to unmount momentarily to get a clean filesystem
as you fail/remove the mirror.

Some people are copying smaller archives with rsync (-aH), and the
newest version of rsync is supposed to handle the hardlinks more
efficiently.  You can always try that and see how long it takes.