BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-05-19 12:58:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:54:16 -0500
On 05/19 11:35 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> Have you ever restored one of these tapes, and if so, how long did it
> take?  As a wild guess, I'd expect a couple of days where an image copy
> would be an hour or two.

I think it's about 8 hours to create the tape (whereas when using LVM
snapshots it took almost 2 days). I've scanned and recovered files from the
tape, and it takes a few hours, depending on where on the tape the file
is. I've never convinced the company to do a full test restore (we're
contractors, and doing that test would cost more money); but I have
scanned the tapes and checked their integrity, and that takes a healthy long
time.

An image copy would indeed be much faster. I prefer a file-level backup
rather that filesystem-level backup simply because recovery in case of
corruption is much better.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator