BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-05-21 18:35:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Rob Terhaar <robbyt AT robbyt DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:32:01 +0200
Hi,

Rob Terhaar wrote on 2009-05-21 13:01:58 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the
backuppc pool with bacula]:
> [...]
> Try Rsync v3, it has much lower memory requirements since it builds
> the file list incrementally.

by all means, try it. But it's not the file list that is the specific problem
of BackupPC.

> I used it at one company to do nightly
> syncs of their ~4TB backuppc pool offsite.

It's still a matter of file count (used inodes, to be exact), not pool storage
size. rsync V3 may perform significantly better if you have many links to
comparatively few inodes, but if you have many inodes (for some unknown value
of "many"), I am still convinced that you will hit a problem. Feel free to
convince me otherwise, but "works for me" is unlikely to succeed ;-).

Regards,
Holger