BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob Question Time... backup up localhost

2009-05-21 18:26:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob Question Time... backup up localhost
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:23:39 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2009-05-21 16:30:35 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob
Question Time... backup up localhost]:
> Skip Guenter wrote:
> > [...]
> > I do have user backuppc set up to be able to run rsync w/o a password
> > via: "sudo visudo"
> > which shows:
> > # User privilege specification
> > root     ALL=(ALL) ALL
> > backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /user/bin/rsync

that should almost definitely be "/usr/bin/rsync", not "/user/bin/rsync".

> You can skip ssh for local backups if you use another way to get root
> access.

Meaning, for local backups of the backuppc server, you can just set

        $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath $argList';

(note that it's "$argList" in this case, *not* "$argList+" as with ssh).
If you also want to enable automatic restores, you need to set
RsyncClientRestoreCmd (same value, I believe), too, otherwise you can
set it to undef:

        $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = undef;

If you are *not* enabling restores, you might want to limit sudo priviledges
for backuppc like this:

        backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender *

(this would prevent anyone gaining access to the backuppc account from
overwriting arbitrary files - for whatever it's worth). You can include
more of the command (I have '/usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids
--perms --owner --group -D --links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive *'),
but unless you can also include the directory to back up, that doesn't gain
you much, and if you do, you'll need two entries - one for full backups
including the "--ignore-times" argument and one without (for multiple shares
this gets a bit awkward).

But just "/usr/bin/rsync" should work fine to start with. You can always start
fine tuning once it's working.

Regards,
Holger