BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format

2009-05-18 08:33:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>, "Bharat Mistry" <basmistry AT googlemail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:26:54 +0200
> > > I am not used to consider minutes in decimal format (like
> 36.8 minutes).
>
> I don't think you are supposed to. The point of the web page,
> as I understand it, is to give you a rough idea of what is
> going on. Seeing a list of figures 36.8, 37.1, 35.9, 36.4,
> 242.8, 37.3 ... makes the full backup (or problem, or
> whatever) stand out much more than if you obfuscate it into
> 4h2m48s. A list like 36.1, 36.1, 36.2, 36.3, 36.7, 36.8 ...
> gives you much more of an impression of how the times are
> developping than 36m6s, 36m12s, ... would.

It's simply about "human format": humans do not speak about 36.8
minutes. But as you also pointed out: if I'd cut the seconds, nothing
would change in such an important way: 36.8 or 36 is the same thing
because I'm not interested into "seconds"...

The main goal I'm seeking is to get *real* values of time and
transferred amount of data (which I adressed in my other thread).

Regards,
F.