BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?

2009-01-09 11:05:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to delete backups? + Benefit of incremental backups?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:03:16 -0500
Thomas Birnthaler wrote at about 11:29:27 +0100 on Friday, January 9, 2009:
 > A lot of thank to everybody which answered my questions
 > which have been asked a lot of times, sorry :-(.
 >
 > I've learned from your answers that my model of BackupPC storage of full and
 > incremental backups was too weak and that it's too dangerous to delete
 > backups by hand. So we won't do that.
 >
 > The script http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+delete+backups for
 > deleting you mentioned I already found. But it deleted full + all dependant
 > incremental backups which wasn't what we wanted.
 >
 > Some wanted to know, what were the reasons for my question. So here we are:
 >
 > 1. Problem: Accidential backup of huge files and directories (e.g.
 > DVD-Images,
 > backups done by a second tool we haven't been told) because some users do
 > things they shouldn't do. These fill up the BackupPC backup-Space and it
 > doesn't make any sense to keep them. In one case we reached the limit of 95%
 > and BackupPC didn't do any backups then (which is a good behaviour!).
 >
 > True, this is a configuration problem! But if you detect it after the backup
 > happened, how do you free the space then? My solution was to set the file
 > size to zero by hand, but keep all the hardlinks. This is manageable for
 > some
 > files, but not very easy for 100 or more.

I have written a program that allows you to delete individual files
from 1 or more incremental or full backups -- it properly takes care
of all the inheritance from level n to level n+1 etc. incremental
backups. This should allow you to transparently delete just the
offending files or directories/

The program has been posted to the mailing list -- it's called
BackupPC_deleteFiles.pl

It was written for exactly the scenario you envisioned -- mistaken
backups of large files -- and it allows you to delete those without
eliminating the entire backup (which would seem to me to be foolishly
throwing out the baby with the bathwater).

 > 2. Problem: Incremental backups take much longer time than full backups
 > (weekly full and daily incremental) on two of the networks we manage.
 >
 > Some answered that this should not happen. But some answered that this could
 > happen depending on machine, memory, network and so on. So no real answer to
 > that, we have to investigate it further. If we find a reason for that
 > problem, I will post it.

I didn't see anyone confirming that the multi-X slowdown for
incrementals vs. fulls is possible. At most, I saw someone saying that
in certain circumstances an incremental could take as long as a
full. (I'm just summarizing what I believe I saw in the thread unless
you have had personal communications otherwise).